Sunday, August 5, 2012

Green Pasta with Sausage Ragu

You know those thick sausages that taste like meat and lard? There are so many better sausages to eat as a sausage... but these sausages make great ragu!

I learned this recipe from one of Batali's cookbooks. (Someone gave me the book before the insensitive comment)


The sausages were cut into chunks and pan fried for about 10 minutes.

Then, I added diced onion, diced carrot, diced celery, sliced garlic, a can of whole peels tomatoes, chicken stock, and white wine.


Note the water level. You then leave it partially covered and simmer for 1 hour or so. I simmered it for 1.5 hours because I like my sauces a little thicker, and I got overzealous with one of the liquid ingredients.


Here's the finished sauce. The water level's much lower. It keeps for a long while, so I always make multiple servings. Your room will smell wonderful, and all of your neighbors will think that you're amazing.

The pasta could be bought or made separately. If you want to make the dough, it's about 4 cups of flour (keep some on reserve for the pasta machine), 4 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon olive oil, and a dash of salt. This particular recipe called for spinach pasta, which was colored by a bag of blanched spinach pureed with an egg. Make sure that you squeeze the spinach dry first. Even after I squeezed it, it was still rather wet.


I made my well inside a mixing bowl because it makes for easier cleaning. The well method is really the best method.


The well allows the flour to lightly coat the batter and mix in homogeneously.


Once the dough becomes solid, you can fold the rest of the flour in and knead. This dough is much softer than the black pasta dough, and requires a bit more flour because of the water trapped in the spinach.

Then the fun part!


Just roll it out!


Cook for 1 minute. Yes. Literally 1 minute.. maybe 2 if you like it soft.


And serve! I stuffed myself silly. I don't think I left enough room for dessert, so I guess that'll have to be a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment